Friday, May 21, 2010

Heritage CIty..

Recently my friend Brian and I went on a walking tour of a small side of Penang.. We went walking around Beach Street and also took a detour into Little India and also the Temple of the Goddess of Mercy or "Guan Yin Teng" as us locals call it..

This little trip made me realize that a lot of us Penangites don't really take time to explore our little island anymore.. The Beach Street area just screams Colonial Period.. The restoration of the area is still in progress but the place is already looking really good..

Beach Street kinda reminds me of Shanghai when I was there in 2003.. Its amazing how similar it feels.. There's little or close to no traffic at all in the evening of course its a Saturday.. The only thing that Beach Street differs from Shanghai is the cold weather, perhaps?

Little India is pretty awesome as well.. I think its the most lively area on the entire island.. From the moment I stepped into Little India, I hear loud Indian music blasting from speakers outside CD stores and it actually lasts till you leave Little India.. You don't see many non-Indians there but I guess it shows the unity of their race?

Guan Yin Teng is a very familiar place for me as I've been there countless times.. It is however the first time I've ever been there when its actually NOT filled with people (and pigeons).. The good thing about the entire trip was that I saw China Street IN Little India.. Talk about cultural unity eh?

There's also a nice little book store which is owned by Tzi Chi on Beach Street and it has a nice ambiance.. Did I mention the drinks are cheap? Its the perfect study place for me this semester and I think it will make my attempt to turn into a nerd this semester easier than I thought.. Did I mention the drinks are cheap? Haha..

So enough with the talk, I shall leave you guys with a preview of what's to come.. I have yet to edit all my pictures.. Enjoy =)

No comments:

Post a Comment